Tuesday, January 11, 2011

OPERATION COTTON: Mission Accomplished!!!

So I really did it...I ran my first 5K on 10/21/10!! I had a wonderful time running in the Friends of the River race that started at Montgomery Plaza. I am sorry that I got a little busy and am just now posting about my fun adventure.

Here is the shirt from the run! Isn't it cute?! Some great cotton!!



For proof that I actually completed the 5K, you can view my run results at: http://www.clinesrunningcorner.com/results2010/friendsofheriver_oc21_2010.pdf
I am listed under "Ali Baker" which I have decided will be my running name...kinda like how actors and actresses sometimes change their names!

Group pic at the end of the race (I jacked it from the photographer's website!): Leland, Deva, Ali (aka me), Melanie, Mark, Julie

So I felt the need to write something like an Oscar speech about completing this run.

I definitely could not have accomplished this without the Lord. I never would have thought that I could go from couch potato to actually start running. Throughout the process I often was a weakling, whined, and would stop to walk. I have to be honest that sometimes I would stop and just focus on my pity party of how tired I was and how I could never accomplish anything that involved any shred of athletic ability. I was often reminded of the song, "You Are my All in All" when I was running and I was then motivated!

I need to thank my co-worker and friend, Deva, who got it in my head that I could actually complete a 5K...who knew?!? She is such a running speed demon now, and I am so proud of her!

I am also eternally grateful to my co-worker and friend, Mark, who encouraged me all along the way. If you had asked me a year ago today if I would ever run with Mark on a weekly basis ...I would have laughed hysterically at you! I was intimidated by his speed and ability to run long distances, but he was always patient and encouraging every step of the way. Mark is the only reason I kept pushing myself and didn't give up like I so often do. He ran at my snail pace and kept me going!

I would like to thank another co-worker and friend, Melanie, who went from couch to 5K in a day and blew me away on the day of the race by always being by my side. She kept encouraging me to kick it up a notch when we got to the end, and I wanted to throw up!

Oh, and I must not forget to thank Kung-Fu man who was always nice to look at on the Trinity River running trail. Also, I cannot forget to thank all of the ropes and sticks on the trail that always had me believing that they were snakes, so I ran a little faster!

I could not have completed the race without music, so I must give it up for my iPod.
Here is a list of what I listened to during the race:

  • All of Creation by Mercy Me (hey if it works for Josh Hamilton when he gets up to bat...it can work for me!)
  • Better is One Day by Kutless
  • Collide by Howie Day
  • Cowboy Take Me Away by the Dixie Chicks (aka Corps Boy Take Me Away when I was at A&M)
  • Don't Stop Believin' (no need to expand on this awesome song!)
  • Friday I'm In Love by The Cure
  • I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas (my nephew loves and know this song!)
  • Just Dance by I'm not sure...it is The Biggest Loser jazzed up edition
  • Let's Hear It For the Boy by I'm not sure...also The Biggest Loser edition
  • Party in the U.S.A by Miley Cyrus
  • Today Was a Fairytale by Taylor Swift
  • Time After Time...also The Biggest Loser edition
  • Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell (I ended with this mellow song probably because I didn't have enough energy to reach up to my iPod to change the song. I'm not sure how this got on my running list, but I downloaded this song after watching the opening ceremony at the Vancouver Winter Olympics...so I guess it has some athletic qualities!)
What a fun memory to say that I ran my first 5K during my 30th year of life! I definitely want to beat my slow time this year, and I may (Lord willing) try to go for a 10K. I have been a slacker over the last month, so I need to hit it hard!

I feel so much better about myself, and FYI I did indeed reward myself with something from the Coach store!

No comments: